What Is Crimesense Magazine?
Crimesense Magazine is a bi-annual publication for parents and the community as a whole. The magazine includes articles that deal with youth alcohol and drug abuse, child pedophilia, Internet crime, as well as various tips for crime prevention. At the same time, it also promotes the efforts and programs that have been successful in having a positive impact on youth. Our aim is to bring to light the current issues in today’s society that may affect the healthy development of our youth. Instead of you having to look for tools and resources to keep your children and teens safe, Crimesense Magazine does the work for you. We consolidate information from across North America and bring it to your attention.Crimesense magazine has been an excellent partner to collaborate with. Their ability to highlight key issues, trends and what we can all do to make our communities safer is an asset to this region. We look forward to continuing our work with Crimesense. - Michael Justinich, Crime Prevention Ottawa
How Did Crimesense Start?
It all started 20 years ago when a former police officer, also a concerned parent, realized that the world his child was growing up in, was not the same as the one he grew up in. It wasn’t so easy to keep on top of youth trends and tendencies. He thought to himself, “If I feel this way, other parents must feel the same way”. With that, he began putting together publications to keep parents aware of current issues that were affecting their youth.
With the ever-changing face of technology, today’s kids are no longer content with just playing with cards and board games. The development of video games, Internet, satellite TV, and cell phones has made it that much harder to keep up with youth and their activities. That’s why Crimesense Magazine was put together; to provide parents and people who work with youth with information to help children and teens make better choices and decisions.
What’s In The Future For Crimesense?
Currently, we publish 2 twice a year in Peel/Halton Region and Eastern Ontario. We want Crimesense to be a common name in households, schools, community centres, and local businesses. We want it to be the go-to resource to help parents raise their children in a safe community. To help with this expansion, we will also be using our website as a resource. Current and archived editions of Crimesense Magazine will be available at the click of your mouse.
Where Can I Find Crimesense?
One of the amazing things about Crimesense Magazine is that it is distributed absolutely FREE of charge. 80% of our distribution is targeted to key points across the regions such as street boxes and major retailers, while the remaining 20% can be found in schools, community centres, police stations. In keeping the distribution local, it ensures that the information included in the magazine stays relevant to the local citizens. You will be reading about people and things from your own community, and not from a far away land.
How Do I Get Involved?
There is not one simple solution to crime prevention. Building a safe community requires the efforts of everyone. Crimesense Magazine has made it even easier for everyone to do their part. If you are a parent or someone who works with youth, help spread the word about our magazine. Share your new found knowledge with others so that they can help the youths in their lives cope with the various social pressures present in our world.
If you are a community organization with a focus on youth programming, share your ideas and success stories with us. We want to encourage other organizations to follow suit and replicate your model. The more youth we reach, the more successful your community will be. Businesses can show their support to the community by advertising with us. Why not give back to the community that has been eminent to your success? When you advertise in Crimesense Magazine, not only will you be building your business branding, but you will be enabling members of your community to stay educated about crime prevention and safety, at no cost. Don’t wait another second. It’s time to get the word out, share the news, and show your commitment to your community.